Closed die forging is a metal forming process for small precision parts. It is widely used in all types of industries. Like everything in life though, it has many advantages but also some disadvantages. Let’s take a look at some of the pros and cons of closed die forging.
There are many advantages to closed die forgings. Some of them include:
- No material limitation
- Suitable for almost all the metal materials (steel, aluminum, and brass)
- More cost-effective for large production runs than investment casting
- Surface finish is better
- Environment protected
- The workshop of forging is cleaner than that of casting
Just like everything in life, there are some disadvantages to products. That includes closed die forgings. Some of those cons include:
- Size limitation
- It is not cost-effective for short production runs for the high tooling cost.
- Shape limitation – For these components with irregular shape, it is also not available. Such complex products can only be made by casting.
Are You Looking for Closed Die Forging?
Closed die forging can be a great option for the right project. How do you know if closed die forgings are right for you though? Well, at Ferralloy we can work with you to determine if closed die forgings are right or if there is a better method to get the results that you need. Contact us today to learn more about our closed die forgings and to find out if they will work for your next project.